Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Antigua and Barbuda passport rank in the world?
The Antigua and Barbuda passport currently ranks #28 in the world and #3 in the Caribbean in terms of mobility and access to other countries through its visa-free travel and visa waiver programs. The Antigua and Barbuda passport currently has visa-free travel access to 150+ countries in the world according to Henley & Partners Passport Global Index 2020 .
Which is the best option for Antigua citizenship – donation or real estate?
The investment option that you may take for your citizenship-by-investment (CIP) route may vary depending on your lifestyle and individual circumstances. Statistically, many foreign investors often opt for the $100,000.
However, if you wish to spend more time in the country, real estate investment option is another route that allows you to either live in the property, or have the option to sell it after 5 years.
What are the qualifying real estate investments for CIP?
You may visit this page for the new and updated list of Government-approved real estate and other investment opportunities in the country.
Do business investments qualify under CIP?
If you were to invest $1.5 million USD in approved business projects as a single investor, then you may qualify for the CIP business route. A joint business investment of at least $400,000 per person (totalling total $5 million n value) is another option.
How long is the validity of the passport?
The passport under the citizenship-by-investment program issued is valid for 5 years for the first instance. To renew the passport after 5 years, one must visit the country for 5 days. It usually takes 3-6 months to receive your passport and it can be picked up at your nearest Embassy or in Antigua and Barbuda.
Are there any residency requirements?
Once your passport has been issued with a validity of five (5) years in the first instance, you will be required to visit the country for five (5) days to renew your passport.
Do I need to give up my existing citizenship?
Antigua & Barbuda is one of the few countries with no restrictions on dual or multiple citizenships. However, you may consider that depending on your original nationality, your home country may prohibit it. Countries such as China, India, Russia and Saudi Arabia do not allow dual citizenships.
Who are qualifying dependents?
The qualifying dependents include direct family members and dependents of the main application. These may include spouse, children, and parents aged over 65 can be included in one citizenship application.
Family applications will be considered to include the following family members;
- A spouse of the main applicant
- A child of the main applicant or his or her spouse who is less than 18 years of age
- A child of the main applicant or his or her spouse who is at least 18 years and less than 26 years of age and who is in full time attendance at a recognised institution of higher learning and fully supported by the main applicant
- A child of the main applicant or of the spouse of the main applicant who is at least 18 years of age, who is physically or mentally challenged, and who is living with and fully supported by the main applicant
- Parents or grandparents of the main applicant or his or her spouse above the age of 65 years living with and fully supported by the main applicant.
- For the purposes of the Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program ‘child’ means a biological or legally adopted child of the main applicant, or of the spouse of the main applicant.
Can I visit the UK without a visa?
Yes, you may visit the UK for a maximum of six (6) for tourism, business conferences, or visiting family and friends. You may also visit check uk visa for more information.
Can I visit Schengen countries with an Antigua and Barbuda passport?
You can stay or visit Schengen countries including Switzerland for upto 90 days within the 180-day period.
How to start the application process?
The Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship-by-Investment Program (CIP) Unit does not accept the applications directly. You must apply for Antigua CIP through an authorized agent. Our team can help you, so feel free to get in touch with us today.
Do I need to come to Antigua for the application process?
You do not necessarily have to visit the country. For as long as you and your dependents qualify, you may be eligible to apply without necessarily visiting the country. You will, however, be required to visit your nearest Embassy.
Do I need a visa to visit Antigua and Barbuda?
If you hold a passport from a country which has a visa-waiver agreement with Antigua and Barbuda, you do not need a visa. For other countries, you may obtain a visa waiver on arrival.
Do I get my money back if the application is not approved?
Your main investment will only be required once the Government approves your application. However, processing and other administrative costs are non-refundable.
What is the validity of Antigua and Barbuda passport?
Once you become a citizen, your passport will be issued with a validity of 5 years for the first instance.
Are there any taxes?
Antigua and Barbuda offers tax-efficiency benefits for its residents. There are no capital gains, gifts, wealth, estate, personal income and inheritance taxes for income generated outside of the country.
Do I need a visa to visit Antigua ?
You are welcome to visit the country and enjoy the many tourist destinations as well as learn more about the investment opportunities in the country. You also also meet many real estate developers. Please check the visa requirements (http://www.immigration.gov.ag/visa-services/countries-exempt-from-visa/). If you hold the following you can get a visa upon arrival in Antigua by paying $100.
- USA Visa or ‘Green Card’
- UK Entry certificate or residence permit
- Canadian Visa or Permanent Residence card
- Schengen Visa or residence permit
Are there any interviews or tests?
Due to the recent global pandemic, you may be required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (real time polymerase chain reaction) test for SARS-CoV-2 using a nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swab taken within seven (7) days of their flight. For real-time updates and any changes, visit the Government portal for more information.
What if I don’t visit Antigua for 5 days?
You will not be allowed to renew your passport after its expiration date.
Do I need to make the investment again when renewing my passport?
You simply need to pay a $300 passport fee and show your “Certificate of Naturalization” as proof of citizenship.
What are the additional fees involved on top of investment amounts?
- Due diligence fee ($7500)
- Government fee ($30,000 only for business or real estate)
- Passport fee ($300)
- Agent fee (TBD)
What is the time taken by the CIP unit for approvals?
You will usually receive an update on your application within 90 days.
Can our newborn baby get citizenship once we reside as citizens in the country?
Your child may become a citizen of the country when born in the country and after the date of issue of your “Certificate of naturalization”.
Is the due diligence carried out for children?
Children above 12 years old must go through due diligence and background checks. Dependents who are under 11 require no due diligence. However, they will be required to present a sworn affidavit from parents and there is no due diligence fee to be paid.
What are the main qualifying requirements to apply for Antigua CIP?
- Clean criminal record
- Sound financial background
- Excellent references
- No visa denials from UK, Schengen, USA
- No fraud or concealment of information in the citizenship application
- Must not be a threat to safety and integrity of the country
- Economic activity is outside OFAC list of countries hit by sanctions
- All the applicants and dependents must undergo thorough background and due diligence checks. The Government will issue a letter of refusal should they deny citizenship. The granting of citizenship to an alien national is ONLY at the sole discretion of the Government and Cabinet of Ministers.
Does the passport give me voting rights in Antigua and Barbuda?
No. The Antiguan passport under CIP does not automatically grant voting rights and persons would need to qualify as outlined in the Representation of the People Act.
Antigua and Barbuda may grant passports to qualified applicants and investors who invest in real estate. The value of real estate purchase must be minimum $400,000 to qualify for an Antigua/Barbuda passport. There are additional costs on top of the investment costs which includes Government fee, due diligence fees depending on how many persons included in the application. Please contact us for an accurate quote.
We have our own in-house real estate specialist on the island assisting all our clients with easy paperwork in purchasing real estate in Antigua and Barbuda.
We have concluded several real estate contracts with developers of real estate in Antigua and Barbuda which qualify for citizenship by investment program. Please check this list from time to time for an updated list.
Government Approved areas
- Fort James to Blue Waters
- Pillar Rock to Five Islands
- Pearns Point to Johnson’s Point
- Falmouth Harbour to Galleon Bay
- Willoughby Bay to Half Moon Bay
- Nonsuch bay area
- Guiana Island and its environs to Crabbs Peninsula to Indian Point
- Blackman’s Estate (Blackman’s Point)
- Marble Hill
- Low Bay a Palmetto Point y Coco Point
- Coco Point
Can I apply directly to the Citizenship unit in Antigua (CIU) without involving agents?
Unfortunately no. The Citizenship-by-Investment Unity (CIU) does not accept applications directly. Applications must go through authorized agents. Our team can help, so feel free to get in touch with us.